Saturday, August 31, 2013

Natural Bridge in WISCONSIN

Few locals know about this, but Wisconsin has it own naturally formed bridge. I've known about it for years, but never made the trip to see it for myself. After a short hike up the rocky hills of Baraboo, the trail bends sharply to the right. I was disappointed thinking the broken expanse was all that remained of the ancient feature.


 
 
I don't know why I was worried.

Following the path around a 270 degree curve revealed the bridge in all it's splendor.
 
 
 
Even more impressive was the gaping mouth of a cave that archeologists have thoroughly studied. Carbon dating has determined that the cave was continuously occupied as long as 12,000 years ago. It was deep and black; I could almost see the Paleo-Indians as they went about their daily routine, and maybe a dragon scuttling back into the shadows.
 
 A close look at the brittle rock gives a good idea of how the bridge formed. As each layer wore away, stronger, less prone to natural erosion layers stayed I place.
 
 
It was incredible. I am already planning a return trip in the autumn. I can't wait to see this hidden pocket of ancient history, a mere 90 minutes from my house, draped in glamorous party leaves.
 

No comments: