Thursday, March 3, 2016

Story behind the Photo, edition 1


On Facebook (Rebecca Ferrell Porter) I've been challenged to the wildly popular 7 Day Nature Photography Challenge by a good friend. Although we've never met in person, we've been friends for several years, and in 2013 we undertook a 52 week photography challenge together. Georgia was already an accomplished photographer at that time while I had just rediscovered a passion for the craft, but I've learned a lot since then. (much of it from her)

I'm finding the challenge fun and now realize I could go on for several weeks as nature is my favorite subject. I'm also using it to tell the micro-story behind the photo. (I am a writer after all) So I begin a new series today on my blog. 

A few years back, I decided I needed a photo that would bring the trolls I write about to life for my readers. I really do envision them cavorting through the forest with me on my walks. Oton, Gaven, Uredd, Leaf, all of them ... they are real to me. They have to be, or they will read as flat. I couldn't have that! 

So with camera in hand, I crawled among the weeds along the river. Really, on my hands and knees. Suddenly, this amazing puff ball loomed above me. It was about 18 inches tall, and I was looking up at it when I found it. I couldn't have that. The trolls are the size of rabbits, and I'm--well, I'm a substantially larger. Shifting my position, I found a better angle and snapped this photo. 

I still chuckle when I see this photo. It looks very much like the back of a troll head. 
Don't you agree?

No comments: