Sunday, June 8, 2014

Wildflowers


Back to the bluff. It was a harsh winter, and I'm sure it was even worse at the top of an exposed pile of rocks. The highest point around, even the winds have forced life to specialize, but beauty can be found everywhere. 



While I admired the view, I was entranced by the smaller nuggets.
Most people forget that trees have flowers, and I'm not talking about fruit trees. When the spring comes, all you have to do is look for them.


Not yet ready to show their face, these may apples were just beginning to celebrate. The look yellow now, but they will be a soft white when they are ready to show their faces.




Up on that bluff, I saw some wildflowers that I had not seen since I was a child running through the woods near my home.
Bloodroot, I think, (but I'm no expert) so named because if you pick the flower, a thick red substance oozes out and stains everything it touches. Native American's used it extensively.


Dutchman's Britches were everywhere. 



Plants had taken root in every crevice. 
In a stunning variety of forms.
Lichen colonizes stone and covers the lifeless rock with an almost alien life form while ferns take root in the cracks. One day this massive boulder will the soil for a future generation to traverse. 

Beauty is everywhere. Just remember to open you eyes.

No comments: